CATALYST install manager has stopped working
On my desktop PC, I have an ATI graphics card and Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit. For the good part of the last 12 months of new ATI drivers, this error: CATALYST install manager has stopped working, has plagued me when I have tried to install new updated drivers.
I have finally found a solution to get rid of this error. Here are the steps:
Warning! Do this at your own risk, I can’t held responsible for if this works on your PC or not, nor if something screws up.
- Start the Task Manager and kill all processes that has the name of ATI*
- Go to Control Panel – Device Manager and expand the Display adapters node. Right click the RADEON* item and select Uninstall. Be sure to select the “Delete the driver software for this device”.
- Uninstall all ATI drivers and Control Center entries in the Control Panel –> Program and features.
- Install the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility. After the software is installed, start it from C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Installer Clean Up\msicuu.exe.Find and select all entries that has the name of “ATI” and “Catalyst Control Center” and select Remove.
- Install the CCleaner utility. Start it and clear any entries that has the name of “ATI” or “Catalyst Control Center”.
- Open a Command Prompt as an Administrator. Change directory to C:\Windows and delete all ATI*.dll>Del ati*.cll /s
- Start Regedit, find all things named “ATI” and delete those entries.
- Execute your downloaded ATI drivers/Control Center package. When the first dialog appears, click Cancel.
- Open a Command Prompt as an Administrator. Go to the location of where the files where extracted and find ATISETUP.EXE. (in my case C:\ATI\SUPPORT\8-12_vista64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_72276\Driver\Bin64)
- Start the ATISETUP.EXE software with the following arguments: >ATISetup.EXE –install –output SCREEN
- Wait for it to finish and then reboot.
Now your system should of the latest Catalyst drivers and utilities installed. Good luck.